Sunday, December 23, 2007

Prague: The 16 Hour Tour

7am - My plane lands. We're actually a bit behind schedule but I don't mind. I'm just happy my Detroit leg had no delays, and really what's there to do in any city on a sunday before 7am? It's still dark out so I'm thinking if I hurry to the city I'll get a nice sunrise..

8am - No sunrise. Just cold, grey clouds in a completely unopened city. But people are starting to emerge and kiosks slowly starting to open. The streets are beautiful cobblestones, many of them pedestrian only, and I wander to the National Museum and all through "stara mesto" which I know means the old part of town because it's the same in Russian. The languages have a lot of overlap which is helpful, and there are also a ton of Russian tourists. But everyone here seems to know ten languages so it's not a problem. Too cold to keep walking, I stop in for a Danish and a cappucino. The Europeans sure do breakfast right.

12am - My left pinky can't move it seems to have frozen inside my glove. But the Prague Castle is having it's changing of the guard. Standard pomp and circumstance, marching, etc., but then a five man band popped out of the second floor archway to provide some music. Very nice touch.

2pm - I hide in another cafe for lunch and warmth. Loved the creamy vegetable soup and the ham with cabbage, can't say I was a fan of the dumplings (slabs of potato and bread). As I start to nod off over my apple strudel (that was drowning in a delicious pool of cream), I decide my best strategy would be to sleep at the airport for a few hours. Pauline is not going to be happy if I show up after two sleepless nights and fall asleep in the manger.

8pm - I discover the Prague airport has internet. And here we are!

No comments: