Thursday, February 28, 2008

Spring Break in the Hospital?

No joke, I'm in the hospital right now. Somewhere in Chicago. I won't get more specific because I'm not sure how legit this is, but basically an old friend is on call tonight and rather than send me back to her heatless apartment alone she suggested I stay in the student dorm room with her. So here I sit, dressed in scrubs to "blend in" hanging out while she's off responding to a Code Yellow page in the emergency room.

Sorry if that's not very exciting, but that's sorta what my spring break has been like this year. No beaches, no snowy mountains, no lazy mornings sleeping in. And if you know me, you know how much I love not waking up before noon. But don't get me wrong, I've been having a lot of fun. My Aunt in Minnesota drove down to Nashville for the week, so I flew to Chicago where she picked me up so we could make the journey together. Every five seconds she'd point out another hawk perched on a fence or tree next to the highway just waiting for a little field mouse to come out to play. I was also forced to consume multiple raspberry "concrete mixers" from Culver's, a more extensive fast food restaurant I had never heard of before, as well as several pounds of bacon, pork chops, and the best steaks ever once we arrived in Nashville. If my Aunt wasn't so against flying she'd cure world hunger using the combination of bacon and peer pressure alone.

Coming to Nashville is always a bit of a homecoming. Remarkably almost all of my high school friends are still in the area. Plus with amazing family friends that let my Aunt and me invade their house everytime we're there, it's starting to feel ironically a bit more like home now that we finally sold our home. Which has been torn down. People always apologize when I say that like there's been a death in the family. For us, it was a bit more like finally purging a bad disease. But like most of my recent trips to Nashville, this one still included logging the requisite hours sorting through boxes of old stuff. Starting at 7am. Did I mention my Aunt was a morning person?

Now I'm back in Chicago for the weekend before returning to Ann Arbor. Hopefully I'll finally get a few chances to sleep in. Assuming of course the pager doesn't go off...