Sunday, August 5, 2007

Jennifer Lopez, Janet Jackson, Madonna, and...

Frances. That's right, apparently I'm America's next biggest hottie. At least according to the Mongolian police officer that decided to invade our kupe after we crossed the border out of Russia. After walking by the open door twice and glaring quite sternly at our open bottle of wine, he then morphed into the most social, non-english speaking Mongolian possible. It helped that I also knew the words to that ya ya ya coco jambo ya ya yeah song. And more importantly, we could both name all of the Backstreet Boys. I knew that information would be useful one day!

Talk about a welcome wagon. We battled with the train lady over hot water (she wanted money - it's free), not to mention the boxes of cigarettes that were stuffed into several of the other kupes. Then of course there was the random girl that we were told would be sitting in our cabin, but just for the border crossing portion of the trip. Standard apparently, especially the fact that it took 9 hours for all this to go down.

But still, I can boast about reaching a brand new country. By the end of this trip I'll have one for each year of my life, until of course my birthday later this month. Then I'll have to start planning a new adventure!

Ulan Bataar deserves a separate post, but it's time for bed. We're at ten days and counting...

1 comment:

vellai said...

Sounds so fun Frances! I miss you Frances! Can't wait to see some of your pics when you get back, even if they are on facebook!