Thursday, July 5, 2007

"I Think You Should Be Queen"

Apparently, my grandmother would prefer to see my face on the back of Canadian coins. I tend to agree, but neither of us could come up with concrete steps to implementation. Long ago my mother had a good plan--marry one of the two princes. At three, Frances liked this idea. My oft quoted response was "I'll take William." At twenty-three, Frances is not so sure.

Welcome to Minnesota. A land of lakes, food, and family. A lot of family. Cousins, cousin-in-laws, baby cousins (once removed), aunts, uncles, and one matriarch to rule them all. Almost 93 and still making the best cookies I'll ever have, Grandma shines above us all like the star on top the Christmas tree. And believe me, it's one big tree.

I made it safely up to the lake on Tuesday for some spectacular fireworks, strawberry shortcake on a boat, and a comfortable bed with soft squishy pillows. My uncle cleaned my car, my aunt fed me bacon, and my happiness level went up at least three notches. Giant family bbq on the 4th, another good night's sleep in the cities, and I think I'm ready for Pauline and Alex to show up tonight for the weekend.

Something feels like home. Now where are those molasses cookies?

1 comment:

Ben Knelman said...

You were in MN!! Yes - isn't MN the happiest place ever! (but you already knew that anyways)