Friday, July 27, 2007

"Yeah? Well, At Least We Won The Cold War..."

Val and I just lost a game of cards to our new Russian friends, Vlad, Pasha, and Misha, and as they gloat over beating the Americans at their own game this is the one thing I can think to say. Fortunately, they find it funny. "You realize you're on a train in the middle of Russia?" Also fortunately, no one else heard.

The train was hilarious. Val and I just spent 70 hours in a train car with 54 other people, dorm style, with feet sticking out in the aisle, tiny cubbies for beds, and body odor that exceeded all my wildest expectations. All Russians too, wondering why on earth some Americans would want to come take this slow moving train and call it a "vacation." But in the end, I got some good practice for my Russian, and we made it safely to Krasnoyarsk with some new friends and some hilarious photos.

As for Krasnoyarsk, you say? That remains to be seen. The good thing about Krasnoyarsk so far is that it has internet. The bad thing about Krasnoyarsk so far is that our hotel charges $1.50 for a shower. Don't worry, the toilets are free. I asked. We have about three days here to explore, then on to Irkutsk. I'm very excited to see Lake Baikal, I hear the water is only mildly freezing this time of year.

We're officially in Siberia. How now, brown cow?

No comments: