Sunday, July 1, 2007

Salt, Sonic, and Sunsets

Yes, Utah is salty. Like a big salty desert. As for the lake--the photos will do it far more justice than anything I have to say (its odor clearly inspired the Bog of Eternal Stench and the gnats cover everything like locusts, which includes you). Probably shouldn't have said anything at all.

Wyoming, on the other hand, is my new best friend. For starters, drivers should be required to wear blinders because it is next to impossible not to stare at the outcrops of rocks, expansive plains of green brush, and billboards for Sonic. Make that one billboard, and one heavenly limeade in Evanston, Wyoming.

I will end by saying the best and worst part about driving East is not driving into the sun. A rear view mirror sunset is breathtaking and all, but I ended up pulling over at least twice to reclose my jaw and wonder at the beauty of orange-tinged clouds lighting up the sky. The finally-off-the-interstate drive between Rawlins and Casper through the Great Divide Basin is truly one of the most majestic I have ever taken.

Ask me again tomorrow.

2 comments:

vellai said...

Goddammit Frances why didn't I take this week off to drive with you? Talk about poor decision making skills...

Frances said...

seriously the ride would have been way more fun with you there. hope SF is treating you well!